- Once an open heap is 1 metre in height, you should finish it by turning it with a pitchfork and mixing it up every week or two.
- Either use a new bin for the new heap, or use your original bin and just keep the old heap covered with underfelt, tarpaulin or something similar.
- Compost is ready when it becomes a sweet, dark, crumbly material and you cannot distinguish the original materials in it.
- If compost is well maintained and turned often it can be ready in as little as 6-8 weeks. If it is never turned, it will be ready in 12-18 months.
- When it’s ready, put it onto the soil or dig it into your garden. You can also use it for pot plants and for potting up seedlings.
Don’t forget to wash your hands when you’ve finished composting and gardening!